2015 Nissan GT-R Nismo gets officialTue, 19 Nov 2013
Behold the 2014 Nissan GT-R as dressed by Nismo and inspired by the GT3-spec race car that competed in this year's Nürburgring 24-hour race. Called the "ultimate iteration of Nissan's GT-R supercar," power goes up by 55 horsepower to 600 hp with updates like high-flow, large diameter turbos, and torque is "over 480 pound-feet," which means it's risen by at least 35 lb-ft.
Helping to keep it right-way up and pointed in the right direction are a race-tuned suspension with a larger, hollow anti-roll bar, custom Bilstein DampTronic dampers and the use of high-rigidity bolts. Outside, a new aero package from the wider front carbon bumper to the carbon rear spoiler above a longer, tapered rear bumper creates an additional 220 pounds of downforce at 186 miles per hour compared to the standard GT-R. Rumors of a 'Ring time of 7:08 abound, we'll get the truth - and we assume some video - very soon.
The bodyshell construction uses adhesive to improve rigidity, and behind those windows are carbon fiber Recaro buckets - in Europe and Japan, at least - and an Alcantara-wrapped wheel. It goes on sale next year, but you can get to know more about it right now in the press release below.
Nissan GT-R Nismo overview
New, ultimate iteration of Nissan's GT-R supercar. Inspired by the Nismo-prepared GT-R that has competed successfully at the famous Nurburgring 24h race, the Nismo GT-R delivers even greater performance thanks to uprated engine outputs and advanced aerodynamics that generate over 100kg of additional downforce at 300km/h (186mph).
- Power is up to 600hp (441kw) thanks to high flow, larger diameter turbos which are used for GT3 racing, improved breathing and optimized individual ignition timing control for each cylinder.
- Maximum power is now achieved at 6800rpm, up from 6400.
- Torque is now over 650Nm. (more than 480 lb-ft torque)
- The suspension is based on the setup prepared by Nismo for Nissan's entry into the 2012 Nurburgring 24-hour race. With some adaptations to improve refinement, reduce road noise and harshness, the setup is designed for stunning agility, road-holding and handing finesse.
- To minimize body-roll during cornering and changes of direction, the Nissan GT-R Nismo features a 17.3 mm hollow rear anti-roll bar which raises roll stiffness while reducing weight.
- The springs and custom-developed Bilstein DampTronic dampers in the front and rear suspension are specially tuned to deliver exceptional grip levels and progressive handling response at the limit.
- Specially-developed links fitted to the front double wishbone suspension increase castor trail to optimize wheel position during high-G cornering and improve straight-line stability. Additionally, large high-rigidity bolts are used to increase stiffness of the wheel-hub attachment area.
- The construction of the GT-R Nismo's bodyshell now uses adhesive bonding in addition to spot welding for increased rigidity and precise suspension response under extreme load, another example of Nismo "factory tuned" enhancement.
- Notable new body elements are the rear trunk-mounted spoiler, the front carbon bumper and its lower front undercover.
- Together, the front bumper, engine undercover strake and carbon rear spoiler increase downforce, generating an additional 100kg (at 300km/h) compared to the standard GT-R model. A widened front bumper configuration and elongated yet tapered rear bumper design reduce drag to Cd 0.27.
- The GT-R Nismo's black 6-spoke wheels are inspired by Nissan's legendary GT500 race car.
- A unique to the GT-R Nismo model, a Dark Matte Grey has been developed, accentuating the car's imposing exterior muscularity.
- Ergonomically sculpted carbon-fiber-backed reclining RECARO seats (EU/JPN) comfortably, yet firmly, support the driver and front-seat passenger.
- The Nissan GT-R Nismo has a special steering wheel design which is dressed in Alcantara®, with three spokes, red center mark and red stitching to give the best combination of grip, feedback and comfort.
- Interior trim features include discreet red stitching on the seats, center console, door trim and steering wheel.
- The GT-R Nismo driver can assess his or her on-track performance by downloading and reviewing digital data from the connected services advanced performance telemetry system.
The Nissan GT-R Nismo will be available in Japan, U.S. and Europe in 2014.
Naturally, the Nissan GT-R Nismo has lapped the fearsome Nordschliefe race circuit in Germany. It continues to challenge the lap-times set by small-volume, hand-built hypercars...
Carlos Ghosn, Nissan's CEO, will announce the GT-R Nismo's laptime when the car is unveiled at Nissan's global headquarters in Yokohama, Japan at 19:00 on Tuesday 19th November at the celebration of the brand's 80th anniversary in advance of the opening of this year's Tokyo International Motor Show on Wednesday 20th November.
By Jonathon Ramsey
See also: 2015 Nissan GT-R Nismo to pack 595 hp, lap N"urburgring in 7:08, Road & Track names its 2013 Performance Car of the Year, Infiniti brand will finally make its debut in Japan, but not the name.