Auto blog
Race recap: 2016 Belgian Grand Prix is a dozen angry laps
Mon, Aug 29 2016The calm of the Formula One summer break ended with the tumult of the Belgian Grand Prix. The first two days included unusual tire pressures and grid penalties; Mercedes-AMG Petronas' Lewis Hamilton started 21st because of a 55-place grid penalty for engine and gearbox changes, McLaren's Fernando Alonso started 22nd due to a 60-place penalty for the same offenses. The bedlam rolled right into what was effectively an 11-or 12-lap race. Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg took off from pole and the cameras barely bothered with him until he took the checkered flag 44 laps later. Red Bull's Max Verstappen bogged from second on the grid, got swallowed by Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen on the way to Turn 1, then attempted to recover by sticking his Red Bull's nose between Raikkonen's sidepod and the apex at the first corner. Vettel, who didn't see Verstappen, turned into La Source leaving only enough room for Raikkonen. Three cars don't fit in a space for two cars. Vettel spun, Raikkonen and Verstappen clobbered one another and all three drivers had to pit for repairs. Force India's Nico Hulkenberg zig-zagged his way into second ahead of Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo, Williams' Valtteri Bottas, and Sergio Perez in the second Force India. On Lap 6 Kevin Magnussen lost his Renault at Raidillon at the top of Eau Rouge and flew backward into an enormous crash. Magnussen escaped with just a cut ankle. The Safety Car paraded the field for four laps before officials red flagged the race to repair the barriers. When racing resumed on Lap 10, Rosberg led Ricciardo, Hulkenberg, Alonso, and Hamilton. Ricciardo stayed ahead of Hamilton to keep second place at the end of the race, Hamilton easily got around Alonso and Hulkenberg to lock up third. Hulkenberg – who'd given up second to Ricciardo by pitting during the Safety Car period – earned another career-best fourth position ahead of teammate Perez in fifth, followed by Vettel and Alonso on recovery drives, Bottas, Raikkonen, and Felipe Massa taking 10th in the second Williams. Rosberg reignited his Driver's Championship charge with the victory, closing to nine points of leader Hamilton. We could argue that Hamilton had an equally good day by driving from 21st to third, limiting his loss to only 10 points. About that Verstappen, though... We've seen far more experienced drivers attempt the same move Verstappen made into Turn 1 – Raikkonen on Bottas in Russia in 2015, for instance.
Takata airbags were adopted in late 1990s to save a few dollars per vehicle
Sun, Aug 28 2016According to a new report from The New York Times, General Motors started using airbags supplied by Takata in the late 1990s as a cost-saving measure even after receiving warnings about their safety. Takata's airbag modules were reportedly 30-percent cheaper than its competitors' offerings. GM approached Autoliv, which until that time had been its main airbag supplier, to see if it could offer a competitively priced alternative to Takata. Autoliv tested Takata's airbag inflator and found that it was unsafe, according to scientists who worked for the supplier at the time. Chris Hock, who until recently still worked for Autoliv, said the inflator "turned it into shrapnel" when tested. GM was subsequently warned by Autoliv that Takata's ammonium nitrate inflators were potentially dangerous. Still, "General Motors told us they were going to buy Takata's inflaters unless we could make a cheaper one," said Linda Rink, who served as a senior scientist at Autoliv at the time. A spokesperson for General Motors told The Times that it would be inappropriate to comment on discussions that "occurred two decades ago between Old GM and a supplier." So far, no Takata-supplied airbags have ruptured in an accident, and GM was far from the only automaker to make a switch to Takata airbags in order to save money. A total of 64 million airbags have so far been recalled from nearly every automaker selling vehicles in America. A spokesperson from Honda said in a statement to The Times that "There was no industry understanding in the late 1990s" that ammonium nitrate airbag inflators were risky. The majority of deaths linked to Takata airbags were in vehicles built by Honda. Takata still produces airbag inflators that use an ammonium nitrate compound, despite the devices being blamed for at least 14 deaths. Click here for NHTSA's dedicated site on open Takata recalls. Related Video: News Source: The New York TimesImage Credit: Joe Skipper / Reuters Government/Legal Recalls GM Honda Safety autoliv
Honda patents 11-speed, three-clutch transmission in the name of fuel economy
Mon, Aug 22 2016In an effort to improve fuel economy, automakers are stuffing transmissions with as many gears as possible. General Motors fitted the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 with a 10-speed automatic, while the 2017 Ford F-150 will have a variation of the same transmission. Last year, Ford filed a patent for an 11-speed automatic transmission, and now Honda is following suit with its own 11-speed gearbox that will use three – three! – clutches instead of just two. Uncovered by AutoGuide, the patent describes a transmission with eleven gears that utilizes three clutches, with the third somehow reducing the drop in torque that occurs with a shift on a dual-clutch transmission. The result would be a two-fer of improved fuel economy and quicker gear changes. It's not clear how many shafts would be in the transmission – dual-clutches use a pair – or how exactly it is laid out. As it's just in the patent stage, we don't know what type of vehicle would use the 11-speed transmission, or even if Honda will end up making it. Honda could place the high-tech gearbox into a small, fuel-efficient car like the Fit to further improve fuel efficiency or into a larger vehicle like the Pilot that desperately needs a fuel-efficiency boost. The transmission would also have applications in sporty models since it The patent, which was published on May 27, is no longer available on the Japanese patent office's website. Related Video:
The 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback is here: all turbo, manual optional
Mon, Aug 15 2016The car you see above may look familiar. Honda showed a mildly conceptified version of the tenth-gen Civic hatch in March, and just last week a production model was caught being loaded onto a ship. Now it's finally here and official, and we can tell you that a hatchback Civic will once again be sold in the US starting this fall. Utility lovers rejoice. This new body style joins the somewhat-hatch-looking sedan and the coupe Honda has been selling for about a year. It will be available in LX, Sport, EX, EX-L, and Sport Touring trims, with that last one being a new addition. All will get Honda's 1.5-liter turbo four offered in upper trims of the sedan and coupe, but they won't all get the same amount of power: LX, EX, and EX-L models will use a 174-hp version, while anything that says Sport on the back gets bumped up to a 180-hp tune, thanks in part to the sweet center-exit exhaust you see on the car above. Torque doesn't vary between the trims – it's 162 lb-ft on all of them. The other exciting bit of news is that the hatchback (along with other 2017 Civics) will be available with the turbo engine and a manual – in the same car. (For 2016, turbo coupes and sedans were sold exclusively with the CVT, and the manual was offered only on lower trims with a naturally aspirated 2.0-liter four.) The six-speed stick will be standard on LX, Sport, and EX models, while the CVT will be available on those trim levels and standard on the others. The turbo engine is a charmer, and we have said from the start that it would be that much better with a stick, even though most people will choose the CVT anyway. But yay for freedom of choice. Equipment should pretty well mirror what's available on the same trims in the two- and four-doors, with the exception of that new Sport Touring trim. It sounds like that will be Touring equipment – including the Honda Sensing suite of safety tech (available on other trims), Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support, and LED headlights – plus some more sport-like looks and the power bump. Civic hatches will be built exclusively at Honda's plant in Swindon, England. Fun fact: The last Civic hatch to be sold in the US, the oddball 2002–2005 Si, came from the same factory. Big changes come in the rear, obvs, and include a hatch with glass that's bisected (something Honda loves to do) by a spoiler spanning the taillights.
Honda trademarks ZSX, could be for baby NSX
Thu, Aug 11 2016While there have been many rumors dating back to 2008 about a mid-engined sports car from Honda, last year's report was provided the most detail about what seemed to be a scaled-down version of the NSX hybrid supercar. Honda may have added some fuel to the rumor-fire by recently filing a trademark application for "ZSX," reports Australia's Performance Drive. The trademark application was sent to the European Union Intellectual Property Office late last month and is obviously close to the NSX nomenclature. The Australian outlet also reports that an unnamed source within Honda claims the ZSX, whatever it may be, could be revealed as early as next year. The anonymous employee also claims that the ZSX will be offered as a coupe and a hard-top convertible variant, with both being powered by the automaker's 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine from the Honda Civic Type R. Just like the NSX, the ZSX is rumored to get electric motors on the front and rear axles. Previous reports match the unnamed source's claims, as the ZSX was expected to be a replacement for the Honda S2000 that ended production in 2009. It now sounds like it'll be more of a mini-NSX, with rumors pointing towards one electric motor powering the rear wheels, while two motors would be on the front axle. Patents from last year, which are pictured above, match the rumors of a mid-engined sports car. The ZSX trademark is for Europe only as of right now, while the automaker's previous patents and trademarks included the US, as well. Only time will tell if "ZSX" really stands for a sports car, or if Honda actually goes through with its plans. Remember, Nissan ditched similar plans for a small rear-wheel-drive sports car recently. Related Video: Featured Gallery Honda ZSX Patent News Source: EUIPO, Performance DriveImage Credit: autovisie Green Acura Honda Coupe Hybrid Performance trademark rumor honda nsx
Check out the Honda Civic hatchback's shapely rear end
Thu, Aug 11 2016The 10-generation Honda Civic is excellent in all but two areas – performance and utility. The upcoming Si and Type R will satisfy any performance qualms, while Honda will up the utility with its first US-market hatchback in over a decade. Here it is. These images, obtained by the folks at the CivicX forums, are our best look at the hatchback's shapely rear end. Honda kept true to the look of the Civic hatchback prototype shown in Geneva, ditching the twin center-exit exhaust pipes. We're hoping Honda revisits the design on a future Si hatchback, but keeps a similar rear bumper design. The large, black plastic inserts that house the rear reflectors are a more aggressive look than either the Civic coupe or sedan, but aren't flashy or overdone. Weirdly, the rear window reminds us of the Accord CrossTour's back glass, only not ugly. There's a healthy spoiler at the top of the window, along with a similarly sized unit connecting the two taillights. Again, this is mostly like the concept shown in Geneva. What's curious is the date that these images were captured. See, the Civic in the image above is boarding the vehicle carrier M/V Orion Highway. And if we Google the ship, we can see it left Southampton on July 29, stopped in Baltimore – home of an expansive vehicle processing center – on August 8. That means the new Civic Hatch is in the US already. Get excited, Civic fans. Related Video:
Takata airbag victim urges consumers to head to the dealership
Wed, Aug 3 2016A man who lost an eye in a low speed collision due to faulty Takata airbags is urging the owners of cars with recalled parts to take their vehicles into a dealership, before it's too late. The public service announcement comes from ConsumerWatch.com. In a video, the consumer rights website gives factual information about the recall, and adds a personal plea from Corey Burdick. The Florida man lost an eye due to shrapnel from an exploding Takata airbag. The Orlando Sentinel reported that Burdick was traveling just 15 mph in his Honda Civic when he collided with another car. There were no other injuries caused by the crash, except for the loss of Burdick's eye. He filed a lawsuit against Honda and Takata this year. "I lost my eye because of a defective airbag. Take your car in today so this doesn't happen to you," Burdick said. ConsumerWatch.com told Honda and Acura owners not to drive their vehicles until the faulty airbags were replaced. Good advice, as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration also recently advised owners of 2001-03 Hondas and Acuras to get their airbags replaced immediately. NHTSA says airbag inflators in those vehicles have up to a 50 percent chance of exploding in an accident. But replacing the airbags isn't as easy as simply going into the dealership. Many owners who take their cars in for replacement are finding out that new parts are in short supply as manufacturers grapple with the largest automotive recall in US history. Takata may not have enough replacements until 2019, CNN reported earlier this year. The problem is so pervasive that some brand new cars were found to be sitting on dealer lots with faulty airbags still in place months after the initial recall. Some cars have received replacements that were also faulty and now will require a second trip to the dealer. However, waiting is not an option for many owners. At least 13 people have been killed and over 100 injuries have been blamed on the airbags. Related Video: News Source: consumerwatch.com, Orlando Sentinel, CNN Government/Legal Recalls Acura Honda Driving Ownership Safety consumer airbag Takata airbag recall
Honda's Uni-Cub hacked to be a boombox and a personal guide
Wed, Aug 3 2016Honda has a history of developing technology that strays from its famous car and motorcycle lines. A few years ago, the company added to that legacy of gadgets that aren't cars by introducing the Uni-Cub personal mobility device. It was more or less a Segway that did away with the whole standing thing, meaning that riders simply had to sit down and lean in whatever direction they wanted to go. That's all well and good, but Honda wanted to see what else the device could be used for, so the company updated the mobility chair to allow other people to code applications for it. Then Honda hosted a hack-a-thon for people to come out and see what they could do with it. Based on the video above, it seems plenty of people have ideas for the little wheeled wonder. One team developed the perfect party companion by attaching a speaker to the Uni-Cub and creating an app that would let people upload tracks to a playlist from their phone. And since the Uni-Cub is mobile, it can bring the tunes to wherever the people are. All it needs now are some cup holders. Another team developed a way to get people around new, confusing office buildings by turning the Uni-Cub into a guide. Upon entering a building, a person can request a Uni-Cub to come pick them up and then hop on to take a ride to their destination. The Uni-Cub can then return to its home base, and, if the person programs it ahead of time, can return on its own to take the user back to the entrance. Of course this would mean no more excuses to showing up late to a meeting. None of these ideas are planned for any sort of production, but they certainly are interesting. That said, our favorite Uni-Cub application remains the video for OK Go's "I Won't Let You Down". You should probably just go watch that one again. Related Video: Image Credit: Honda Auto News Green Honda Technology Videos personal mobility honda uni-cub
Acura NSX GT3 to make public debut this week at Mid-Ohio
Wed, Jul 27 2016The new Acura NSX had a very long and very public gestation period. The car went through a number of redesigns and revisions, all while enthusiasts watched and waited. With the production version just now ramping up for customer deliveries, Acura revealed that it was working on a race car for FIA GT3 homologation. While the car was shown in New York, no one outside of Honda has seen it testing on track. This week, the NSX GT3 will make its public testing debut at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course ahead of the Pirelli World Challenge and IndyCar races. View 13 Photos While the car will be on track during testing and practice sessions, it won't actually be competing with the rest of the field. The car is still in the testing phase and won't be fully FIA approved until at least September. Acura is confident that the car will make its racing debut in 2017. The company also made it clear that this is not the final version of the car and that things like aero and engine tuning are still being worked out. Until now, the NSX GT3 has only tested at private events in Europe, Japan and the US. This week, the NSX GT3 will be piloted by Dutch racing driver Peter Kox. Kox drives for RealTime Racing, a team that currently campaigns an Acura TLX GT. This week's car will be the primary tester, though if something goes sideways there are multiple backup cars. The NSX GT3 differs in a number of ways from the road car, most notably its lack of hybrid all-wheel drive system. The NSX GT3 uses the same twin-turbocharged V6 as the road car, but sends all the power through the rear wheels. It also uses the same space frame as the road car. While the road going version receives final assembly in Honda's Ohio factory, final touches to the GT3 car are done elsewhere. Although the car will only be testing on Thursday and Friday, it will be on display all weekend in the paddock. For more info on this weekend's Mid-Ohio race, check out the Pirelli World Challenge page here. Related Video: Motorsports Acura Honda honda nsx acura nsx gt3
Man fends off carjackers with car wash pressure sprayer
Wed, Jul 27 2016A simple car wash turned ugly for a Louisiana man last week when he was jumped by carjackers while washing his car. Michael Davis and his brother swung into a self-serve car wash in Shreveport one evening so that Davis could clean his new car. As he was spraying down the bright red Honda Accord, a man entered the wash bay and approached him. "I turned and said, 'I'm not interested I don't have any money or anything', and when I turned back around a guy had come around the corner with a gun pointed at me," Davis told WWII12. Thinking fast, Davis defended himself with the car wash's high-pressure sprayer. "He said, 'Give me your keys and your money,' and I said, 'What'd you say?', and I took the sprayer and just sprayed it right in his face. I heard his friend try to run and get my backside, so I turned around and sprayed him and hit him and they took off running. The whole situation was so surreal." The incident was caught on Davis' dashcam, which showed him spraying the carjackers with the sprayer at close range then hitting both of them over the head with it. Thankfully, the carjackers decided to run instead of pushing the issue, but Davis says that what bothers him is what could have happened. "If they would've taken my keys and my money they probably would have shot me anyway, plus I had my disabled veteran brother in the car. They could have done something to him as well." Recent Video: News Source: WWii2 Auto News Weird Car News Honda Safety Videos car wash louisiana carjacking shreveport accord
