Model: Model T
Options: 4-Wheel Drive, Leather Seats, Convertible
Drive Type: FWD
Monsey, New York, United States
The 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost represents a huge change for the Blue Oval as the first pony car in decades to be available with a four-cylinder engine. But a recent tweet (below) from Road & Track raised our curiosity about the new vehicle. Editor Jason Cammisa pulled a fuse while driving the latest 'Stang with the 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine, and he found that both the stereo and engine went quiet in the cabin. That indicated the coupe might have some form of artificial engine sound being piped in - a feature not previously heavily reported for the model. Autoblog spoke with Ford engineer Shawn Carney who confirmed that only the turbocharged four-cylinder Mustang comes with this system, called Active Noise Control.
@jasoncammisa pulls fuse 27 on 4cyl #2015mustang EcoBoost. Both stereo & engine go quiet. #FakeEngineNoise #busted! pic.twitter.com/WNzQefCbtQ
- Road & Track (@RoadandTrack) September 17, 2014
Ford will be putting the brakes on production at its Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, MI, idling production during the weeks of October 28 and December 16. Ford is citing the first drop in US sales in 27 months, a 4.2-percent dip in September, as the impetus for trimming their supplies, according to Automotive News.
Ford's deft management of its supplies has been part of its success over the years, and seeing supplies of Focus and C-Max, the two vehicles built at MAP, rise from 58 and 108 days, respectively, to 71 and 122 days over the span of a month was apparently all that was need to justify the trimming. As AN points out, the rule of thumb for many automakers is to maintain a 60-day supply of vehicles.
"Ford has been focused on keeping their pricing in check. Their operating margin is in double digits. Nobody else is there and they're obviously very proud of that," Alan Baum, an auto analyst with Baum & Associates told AN. Keeping the supply chain operating smoothly and not increasing supplies too much is crucial to that healthy profit margin. After all, a large supply lowers prices ,which, in turn, cuts profit. So while this news might not be great for employees at MAP, who now have an extra two weeks of vacation time, it's far from a sign of problems in Dearborn. Quite the opposite, actually.
There is no doubt that Ford has had its hands full fielding complaints with its MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch systems these days, but looking to keep its customers happy, Ford is once again upgrading its infotainment systems and extending the warranties. Despite having just sent out updates for its systems back in March, Automotive News says that customers are still complaining about the speed and ease of use.
Vehicles with MyFord Touch will now get a five-year, unlimited-mile warranty, while the MyLincoln Touch will have a six-year, unlimited-mile warranty. Previously, the systems were covered under basic warranties (three-year, 36,000-mile for Ford and four-year, 60,000-miles for Lincoln).
What is being referred to as "version 3.5" for the MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch systems will be mailed out (or downloaded) next month for owners of cars without navigation and in January for cars with nav. Owners of hybrids, plug-ins and electric vehicles will get the update sometime in the first quarter of next year.