Volkswagen says goodbye to Eos, Routan in 2015 updatesWed, 23 Jul 2014
Usually automakers announce changes to their lineup individually on a vehicle-by-vehicle basis, but sometimes it all comes at once – especially when the changes are ones we either expected or might not otherwise notice. That's the path Volkswagen has gone with changes to its US lineup for 2015.
The biggest change is what we already knew: that the new Golf arrives for the 2015 model year, bringing with it the new GTI, Golf R, e-Golf and Golf SportWagen (to replace the previous Jetta wagon). But there are some new details as well.
For starters, Volkswagen has finally confirmed that both the Eos and the Routan – both long rumored to be on their way out – will be exiting this year. The Eos hardtop convertible, pictured above, will linger for one last year, its Sport trim replaced by a new Final Edition with 18-inch wheels, two-tone leather interior and enhanced equipment.
Meanwhile the Routan, which hasn't actually been built in over a year, is finally dead, as VW confirms it has dropped the Chrysler-built minivan from its lineup for 2015 altogether. The German automaker has also confirmed that the Touareg is getting a facelift early in the new year, which we expect will closely follow the revisions revealed a few months ago ahead of the Beijing Motor Show.
Finally VW has announced an upgrade to its 2.0-liter TDI. Fitted to the Golf, Jetta, Passat and Beetle, the updated diesel gets 10 more horsepower with output now up to 150 hp and 236 pound-feet of torque. Scope out the full list of announcements in the press release below.
MODEL YEAR 2015: NEW GOLF FAMILY, REDESIGNED JETTA, AND NEW TDI® CLEAN DIESEL ENGINE HEAD THE CHANGES
Jul 22, 2014
In a busy year, Volkswagen will also add a new Golf SportWagen, an all-new Golf R, a redesigned Touareg SUV, and the company's first U.S.-market EV, the e-Golf
- All-new Golf is bigger, lighter, and more fuel-efficient than the previous model, seats five, and has a larger trunk than any midsize sedan
- New Golf GTI has 210-horsepower engine, with improved fuel efficiency and performance
- e-Golf is Volkswagen's first full Battery Electric Vehicle for sale in the U.S.
- Redesigned Jetta offers a better value, more available driver assistance features, and refreshed exterior and interior
- All-new Golf R, with 292 horsepower, will go on sale during the 2015 model year
- Jetta SportWagen will be replaced by bigger, even more spacious Golf SportWagen early in 2015
- Touareg is replaced by a refreshed model that offers new front and rear styling, an even more refined interior, and new available driver assistance features
- Passat, Beetle, Golf, and Jetta TDI® Clean Diesel models all receive new, more fuel-efficient EA288 engine, with 10 more horsepower
Herndon, VA – The 2015 model year is momentous for Volkswagen. First of all, the Jetta, Volkswagen's best-selling car, is redesigned, with new styling and driver assistance systems, as well as improved fuel efficiency and enhanced content. The newly available driver assistance systems include Blind Spot Monitor, Rear Traffic Alert, the Forward Collision Warning system, and Park Distance Control. The Jetta 1.8T model offers improved fuel efficiency thanks to revised aerodynamics, while the TDI® Clean Diesel model also benefits from fitment of the new EA288 diesel engine. In the case of the manual transmission TDI model, EPA estimated highway fuel economy is now rated at 46 mpg, an improvement of 4 mpg.
This model year also marks the introduction of the seventh-generation Golf and Golf GTI models, which are bigger, more fuel-efficient, and better equipped than ever before. The new Golf is available in two forms: powerful and efficient TSI® gasoline and TDI Clean Diesel, powered by the new EA288 turbocharged and direct-injection engine. The Golf GTI comes standard with a 210-horsepower, 2.0-liter TSI engine, with the option of a 220-hp engine with the Performance Package that is available late in the calendar year. Golf and Golf GTI models fitted with the optional Driver Assistance Package have been awarded the coveted TOP SAFETY PICK + from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
In addition, Volkswagen will introduce its first fully electric vehicle to the U.S. market, the e-Golf. Due to go on sale in select markets in November of 2014, the e-Golf has more standard torque and more versatility than any of its closest EV rivals. When it goes on sale, it will have a standard 7.2kW onboard charger and Fast Charging Capability, which allows for 80 percent charge within 30 minutes at select DC fast charging stations. The car should provide an everyday driving range of between 70 and 90 miles, with a maximum range of approximately 115 miles.
Later in the model year, Volkswagen will introduce the all-new Golf R and the Golf SportWagen. The Golf R will feature a 4MOTION® all-wheel-drive system and a turbocharged and direct-injection TSI engine that makes 292 horsepower. The car will only be offered in four-door form for the U.S. and will initially be available only with a six-speed dual-clutch DSG® automatic transmission. A six-speed manual will be added to the lineup at a later date.
The Golf SportWagen replaces the Jetta SportWagen early in 2015. Like the all-new Golf, it is based on the Modular Transverse Matrix (MQB) architecture and offers better fuel economy, greater versatility, and more interior room than the previous model. It will be offered in two forms: 1.8-liter TSI gasoline engine with five-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmissions; and the latest EA288 TDI Clean Diesel engine with the choice of six-speed manual or dual-clutch DSG automatic transmissions.
All Volkswagen models fitted with the 2.0-liter TDI Clean Diesel engine-Passat, Beetle, and Beetle Convertible in addition to the Golf and the Jetta-benefit from the introduction of the EA288 engine. Despite the similarity in basic specifications, this is an all-new engine that produces 150 horsepower-10 more than before-at 3,500 rpm, as well as 236 lb-ft of torque at 1,750 rpm. The engine offers fuel economy benefits for all the cars in which it is offered, as well as reduced emissions.
At the beginning of 2015, halfway through the model year, the Touareg will be replaced by a refreshed model that features new front and rear styling, a refined interior, and a host of available new driver assistance features. These include Lane Assist, Side Assist (which monitors blind spots) and ACC adaptive cruise control plus Front Assist with City Emergency Braking.
- New, and limited-edition Classic trim joins the Beetle lineup
- New EA288 four-cylinder TDI Clean Diesel engine
For 2015, the 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine TDI Clean Diesel engine will be replaced by the new 150-hp EA288 2.0-liter diesel engine, which makes 10 more horsepower than the outgoing model. The TDI Beetle equipped with the optional six-speed DSG dual-clutch transmission improves EPA estimated highway fuel economy from 39 to 41 mpg compared with the previous TDI Clean Diesel engine.
In addition, a new limited-edition model enters the Beetle lineup. The Beetle Classic will offer unique seat fabric; front lumbar supports; leather-wrapped steering wheel, shift knob and parking brake; three-color ambient lighting; RNS® 315 navigation; and a six-speed automatic transmission. Available wheels on this trim include17-inch "Circle" aluminum-alloy wheels in white or black (depending on exterior color).
- New, value-oriented and limited-edition Classic trim joins the Convertible lineup
- New EA288 four-cylinder TDI Clean Diesel engine
Like the Beetle, the 2015 Beetle Convertible also receives the new 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine TDI Clean Diesel engine, improving the EPA estimated highway fuel economy on the automatic transmission model by 3 mpg, to 40 mpg.
In addition, the Convertible also gains the Classic trim level, offering unique seat fabric, RNS 315 navigation, and a six-speed automatic transmission. Wheels available for this trim include 17-inch Circle alloy wheels in white or black (depending on exterior color).
For 2015, the CC incorporates only minor changes over the 2014 models.
- New optional 18-inch St. Louis wheels
- Available 18-inch Shanghai wheels (new design, late introduction)
- New "Final Edition" trim replaces Sport
- New Flash Red available on Komfort and Executive trims
- New Pure White exterior color available on all trims
For the last production year of the Eos, the Sport trim is replaced for 2015 with the Final Edition. Based on the Sport trim, the Final Edition offers added value at the mid-level trim with18-inch Vicenza wheels, unique Cornsilk Beige and black two-tone Vienna leather seating surfaces, contrast stitching, silver net interior trim, a rearview camera and rain-sensing wipers.
- Brings zero-tailpipe emissions to the fun-to-drive Golf family
- Drivetrain consists of 24.2 kWh lithium-ion battery and an electric motor with 199 pound-feet of torque; 7.2 kW onboard charger is standard
- Three driver-selectable regenerative braking modes
- Standard fast charging capability allows 80 percent battery charge within 30 minutes at select DC fast charging stations
- Roadside Assistance Plan helps take the anxiety out of "range anxiety"
- First U.S.-market Volkswagen to be fitted with all-LED headlights
The e-Golf is available in four-door form only and is immediately recognizable by its unique aluminum-alloy wheels and LED headlights, the first VW to be equipped with the technology in the U.S.-market. Featuring a signature C-shaped design, the efficient LED daytime running lights are a distinguishing feature of all Volkswagen electric vehicles and come standard on the e-Golf. The e-Golf features more torque (199 pound feet) than its main rivals and is also more versatile, with seating for five and more cargo space than any mid-size sedan.
- Pricing starts at $17,995 for the two-door Golf Launch Edition model with manual transmission
- New TDI S model reduces Clean Diesel entry pricing by more than $3,000
- First U.S.-market vehicle using the new Modular Transverse Matrix (MQB) platform
- Room for five with a larger trunk than any midsize sedan
- Standard 5.8-inch touchscreen infotainment center is among the new premium features
- IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK + when equipped with the optional Driver Assistance Package
The 2015 Golf will be available with two or four doors and with two powertrains: the EA888 1.8-liter turbocharged and direct-injection four-cylinder TSI engine mated to a five-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission; and the new EA288 2.0-liter turbocharged and direct-injection four-cylinder TDI Clean Diesel, fitted with a six-speed manual or a six-speed DSG® dual-clutch automatic transmission. This is the first time the entire Golf lineup will feature powerful and efficient turbocharged engines. The Golf 1.8T now has an EPA estimated highway fuel economy rating of 36 mpg when equipped with the six-speed automatic transmission, an improvement of 6 mpg over the outgoing 2.5-liter Golf. The manual transmission model achieves 37 mpg on the highway.
The all-new Golf is better equipped than its predecessor, no matter the trim level. The limited-availability entry Golf Launch Edition two-door with manual transmission starts at $17,995 (plus $820 destination and handling) and adds the following over the outgoing Golf 2.5L: a turbocharged and direct-injection four cylinder as the base engine, along with a standard 5.8-inch touchscreen infotainment system, Bluetooth® connectivity, a Media Device Interface (MDI) with iPod® integration, and SiriusXM® Satellite Radio. The Automatic Post-Collision Braking System is standard on all Golf models, while available new comfort and convenience features include the Fender® Premium Audio System and Climatronic® automatic air conditioning.
Fans of the Volkswagen TDI Clean Diesel engine will be thrilled that the price of the base TDI model has been reduced by more than the $3,000 compared with the previous-generation Golf TDI model.
- Seventh-generation Golf GTI is bigger, lighter, faster, and more fuel-efficient than previous generation
- Increases of 10 horsepower and 51 pound-feet of torque from new EA888 TSI engine
- $700 price decrease on content-adjusted comparison with previous GTI
- EPA estimated highway fuel economy improves by 3 mpg with the manual transmission
- Standard 5.8-inch touchscreen infotainment center among new premium features
The all-new Golf GTI features a highly sophisticated EA888 2.0-liter turbocharged and direct-injection TSI engine that makes 210 horsepower and a healthy 258 pound-feet of torque, figures that are 10 hp and 51 lb-ft higher than in the previous-generation GTI model. The optional Performance Package, which goes on sale later in the model year, ups the ante with 220 horsepower, as well as a torque-sensing electronically-controlled limited-slip differential and larger brakes. All 2015 Golf GTI models have a standard six-speed manual transmission or an optional six-speed DSG dual-clutch automatic that has a launch control feature.
This new-generation Golf GTI is better equipped than its predecessor, regardless of trim level. The Golf GTI S, which starts at $24,395 (plus $820 destination charge) for the two-door model with manual transmission, adds the following over the previous entry-level GTI: standard 5.8-inch touchscreen infotainment center, a leather-wrapped multifunction steering wheel, VW Car-Net® connected services, ambient and footwell lighting with LED reading lights, LED foglights, and a new Driving Mode Selection feature. For the first time, American Volkswagen enthusiasts will be able to order the DCC® adaptive damping system as an $800 option on Performance Package-equipped SE and Autobahn models.
- Thrifty TDI Clean Diesel and 1.8-liter turbocharged TSI Golf SportWagen models will be offered
- Uses the new MQB architecture, like the 2015 Golf and Golf GTI
- Golf SportWagen will go on sale in the U.S. in the first quarter of 2015
– New Golf SportWagen offers increased cargo volume, matching compact SUVs for size and versatility
The VW SportWagen has long been a top choice for customers who want a car that's fun-to-drive and offers a large cargo area that is truly versatile. This new Golf SportWagen is even more appealing, offering nearly 10 percent more cargo room with the rear seats folded than the outgoing model. Essentially, the Golf SportWagen provides a sportier alternative to compact SUVs.
The new SportWagen will be offered with two powertrains. The first is a 170 horsepower, 1.8-liter turbocharged and direct-injection four-cylinder TSI engine, mated to five-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmissions. The TDI Clean Diesel model will be powered by the new EA288 2.0-liter common-rail, turbocharged and direct-injection diesel engine that makes150 horsepower, an improvement of 10 hp over the current SportWagen model, and 236 pound-feet pf torque. The TDI model will have a choice of six-speed manual or DSG dual-clutch automatic transmissions.
- Most powerful production Golf ever for the North American market
- All-new car has 292 horsepower, but is more fuel efficient than previous Golf R
- EA888 TSI 2.0-liter engine propels DSG-equipped Golf R from 0 to 60 mph in approximately 4.9 seconds
- Golf R features new 4MOTION all-wheel-drive system
- Golf R will go on sale in the U.S. in the first quarter of 2015
The 2015 Golf R will be the most powerful version of the Golf ever to be sold in this market. With 292 horsepower, the all-new Golf R has 36 horsepower more than the previous version, which was sold as a 2013 model. Despite the additional horsepower, the new R model is expected to be considerably more fuel-efficient than its predecessor with a manufacturer-estimated highway fuel economy rating of 31 mpg with the six-speed manual transmission, up from 27 mpg.
Like all three previous Golf R models, the all-new model transfers its power to the road via a permanent all-wheel-drive system; in this case, the latest version of the 4MOTION system with a fifth-generation Haldex® coupling. To help ensure great chassis dynamics, there's a new sport suspension, a new variable-ratio steering system, and a stability control system which can now be deactivated for track driving. Other highlights include the optional DCC adaptive damping system.
The all-new Golf R is equipped with an extensive package of exclusive features. Along with specially designed bumpers, side skirts, and 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, the Golf R also has standard Bi-Xenon headlights with newly designed LED daytime running lights (in a dual-U design) and a two-branch exhaust system with four chrome tips. The most powerful and fuel-efficient Golf R will be launched in the U.S. in the first quarter of 2015 in four-door form only.
- New front, rear, and interior styling enhances the Jetta's clean and timeless design
- New available driver assistance systems: Blind Spot Monitor, Rear Traffic Alert, Forward Collision Warning system, and Park Distance Control
- New 150 hp 2.0T TDI Clean Diesel EA288 engine returns an EPA estimated 46 mpg on the highway, with manual transmission
- Improved aerodynamics and reduced rolling resistance help increase efficiency across Jetta lineup
- Bi-Xenon headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights and Adaptive Front-lighting System now available on select models
Following the updates that arrived with the 2014 model, which included a new 1.8-liter turbocharged EA888 engine that replaced the 2.5-liter five-cylinder unit, the 2015 Jetta brings with it a fresh new face and some important updates underneath. The subtly redesigned exterior not only provides the Jetta with a crisp new look, but also helps increase the overall efficiency of the car by improving aerodynamics: the 1.8T models gain a 1 mpg improvement on the EPA's estimated highway fuel economy, to 37 mpg. Additionally, the 2015 Jetta features an updated interior, the new EA288 2.0-liter TDI Clean Diesel engine (with 10 additional horsepower), and a host of newly available driver assistance systems.
- S and Wolfsburg Edition trims now offer an optional Technology Package
- SE with Sunroof trim removed from 1.8T lineup
- New EA288 four-cylinder TDI Clean Diesel engine
The S and Wolfsburg Edition trims now offer an optional Technology Package that includes a rearview camera and the Premium VIII sound system with eight speakers. On S trims, this package includes SiriusXM Satellite Radio, which is standard on Wolfsburg Edition models. The SE with Sunroof trim is removed from the 1.8T lineup, while the SE with Sunroof and Navigation trim adds chrome bumpers and door trim, comfort sport seats and front foglights. SEL Premium trims receive rain-sensing windshield wipers.
The new 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine EA288 TDI Clean Diesel engine makes 10 more horsepower than the outgoing engine and improves the Passat TDI's EPA estimated highway fuel economy rating to 44 mpg for the manual transmission model (+1 mpg) and to 42 mpg for the automatic (+2 mpg). The manual transmission TDI model now has a range of up to 814 highway miles on one tank of Clean Diesel fuel. Thanks to the use of new all-season optimized rolling resistance tires, the EPA estimated highway fuel economy on the 1.8T models is improved by 1 mpg, to 35 mpg on the manual transmission model and to 36 mpg on the automatic version.
For 2015, the Routan will no longer be offered.
- Standard rearview camera, roof rails, and SiriusXM Satellite Radio on all trims
- Standard Premium VIII touchscreen audio system on S and SE trim lines
- Panoramic sunroof on SE with Appearance
Although the Tiguan receives minor additions for 2015, the emphasis for this year is adding value by bringing even more content into the lower level trims. The entry-level S trim line adds a rearview camera, Premium VIII audio system with SiriusXM Satellite Radio and Mobile Device Interface (MDI) with iPod® cable, roof rails, and VW Car-Net connected services. Heatable front seats, with heated washer nozzles, are now standard on the SE trim, while the panoramic sunroof is now standard on the SE with Appearance trim. A stylized rear bumper is added to the top level R-Line model.
The facelifted Touareg is coming in early 2015 as a MY15 vehicle.
- Refreshed styling and interior enhancements
- Host of new driver assistance systems
- More details will follow closer to launch
About Volkswagen of America, Inc.
Founded in 1955, Volkswagen of America, Inc., an operating unit of Volkswagen Group of America, Inc., (VWoA) is headquartered in Herndon, Virginia. It is a subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, headquartered in Wolfsburg, Germany. VWoA's operations in the United States include research and development, parts and vehicle processing, parts distribution centers, sales, marketing and service offices, financial service centers, and its state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The Volkswagen Group is one of the world's largest producers of passenger cars and Europe's largest automaker. VWoA sells the Beetle, Beetle Convertible, CC, Eos, Golf, Golf GTI, Jetta, Jetta SportWagen, Passat, Tiguan, and Touareg vehicles through approximately 644 independent U.S. dealers. Visit Volkswagen of America online at www.vw.com or media.vw.com to learn more.
This press release and images of 2015 Volkswagen models are available at media.vw.com.
"Climatronic", "DCC", "DSG", "RNS", "TDI", "TSI", "VW", "Volkswagen", "XDS", all model names and the Volkswagen logo are registered trademarks of Volkswagen AG. "Car-Net" is a registered trademark of Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. "Fender" is a registered trademark of Fender Musical Instruments Corporation. "iPod" is a registered trademark of Apple, Inc. "SiriusXM" and "SiriusXM Satellite Radio" are trademarks of SiriusXM Radio, Inc.
Features and technical data apply to models offered in the USA. They may differ in other countries.
All prices listed are the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price and exclude transportation, taxes, title, options, and dealer charges.
Available EPA fuel economy estimates are provided and identified as such. All other fuel economy values are forecast manufacturer estimates for the USA; EPA estimates for those models were not available at time of release. Individual mileage will vary and depends on several factors including driving habits and vehicle condition.
By Noah Joseph
See also: VW to relax ambitious US sales targets?, Volkswagen NMC production guise caught in China, Former Porsche boss Wiedeking won't face criminal charges over VW bid.