1958 Mg Mga Roadster Frame Off Restoration on 2040-cars
North Miami Beach, Florida, United States
Feel free to email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
MG: MGA 2 Door Convertible
1958 MG A ROADSTER
4-Speed Manual, Dual Carbs
Showing Only 62,000 believed to be original miles
No expense spared complete frame off restoration
Old English White with Red interior
Includes Detachable Windows
The MGA design dates back to 1951, when MG designer Syd Enever created a streamlined body for George Philips' TD Le
Mans car. The problem with this car was the high seating position of the driver because of the limitations of using
the TD chassis. A new chassis was designed with the side members further apart and the floor attached to the bottom
rather than the top of the frame sections. A prototype was built and shown to the BMC chairman Leonard Lord. He
turned down the idea of producing the new car as he had just signed a deal with Donald Healey to produce
Austin-Healey cars two weeks before.
Falling sales of the traditional MG models caused a change of heart, and the car, initially to be called the
UA-series, was brought back. As it was so different from the older MG models it was called the MGA, the "first of a
new line" to quote the contemporary advertising. There was also a new engine available, therefore the car did not
have the originally intended XPAG unit but was fitted with the BMC corporate B-Series type allowing a lower bonnet
line. The MGA convertible had no exterior door handles, however the coupe has door handles.
It was a body-on-frame design and used the straight-4 "B series" engine from the MG Magnette saloon driving the
rear wheels through a 4-speed gearbox. Suspension was independent with coil springs and wishbones at the front and
a rigid axle with semi-elliptic springs at the rear. Steering was by rack and pinion. The car was available with
either wire-spoked or steel-disc road wheels.
Engine 1,489 cc (1.5 L) B-Series I4
The 1489 cc engine fitted with twin H4 type SU Carburettors produced 68 hp (51 kW) at first, but was soon uprated
to 72 hp (54 kW). Lockheed hydraulic drum brakes were used on all wheels. A coupé version was also produced.
An early open car tested by British magazine The Motor in 1955 had a top speed of 97.8 mph (157.4 km/h) and could
accelerate from 0–60 mph (97 km/h) in 16.0 seconds. A fuel consumption of 26.7 miles per imperial gallon (10.6
L/100 km; 22.2 mpg-US) was recorded.