For sale is my 1991 Volvo 240 (non-ABS) with 130,500 miles. I bought it in December 2013 (Iím the second owner, not counting the dealer) while living in Miami with the intention of ďrestoringĒ it and driving it indefinitely, but shortly after purchasing I had an unexpected job transfer to rural New Mexico (and then got a horse) and now I need a very different kind of vehicle. I really hate to part with it and Iíd like to see it go to someone who knows and appreciates 240s.
I recently drove the car from Miami to Gallup, NM and it cruised trouble-free at 80 MPH for 2,300 miles loaded with about 300 pounds of stuff and averaged 24 MPG (I only use premium fuel). I would not hesitate to drive it across the country again tomorrow.
Since purchasing the car in December with about 127,500 miles, I have made many, many improvements. I have receipts for everything I bought and all work performed (itís upwards of $13,000). The car didnít necessarily need all of these things, but I was planning on keeping it for the long haulÖ
- Interior completely refurbished, all broken trim pieces replaced, seat upholstery removed and cleaned, and old carpet replaced with new carpet from Custom Interiors (itís not a factory fit and the install wasnít perfect, but it looks good)
- Added large tachometer and 52mm voltmeter and oil pressure gauges
- Added white gauge faces
- Replaced all interior bulbs
- Added snowcaps to hood vents
- New strut tower braces
- New front seat bottom foam
- Seat back lumbar adjustments rebuilt
- Bilstein touring struts (front) and HD shocks (rear) added along with new rear overload springs from IPD
- New Genuine Volvo strut mounts, spring holder plates
- Engine accessory bushings replaced with poly bushings from IPD
- Four new Cooper Touring tires
- Front and rear sunroof seals replaced with Genuine Volvo
- Paint and body work (car had a cheap gold paint job when I bought it, but I had a reputable body shop (Prestige Auto and Cycle Body works in North Miami) paint it back to the original factory color (it was sanded to bare metal and done properly) and remove all dents/dings.
- New rebuilt Bosch MAF sensor from FCP Euro
- New air box thermostat
- New intake, exhaust manifold, and throttle body gaskets
- New Genuine Volvo exhaust downpipe and Flowmaster 50-state legal catalytic converter
- New Bosch 02 sensor
- A/C converted to r134a using Genuine Volvo conversion kit
- New A/C compressor and A/C relay
- New kickdown cable, overdrive solenoid, and overdrive relay
- New battery cables
- New upgraded in-tank VDO fuel sending unit, pre-pump, pre-filter, seal rings
- New Bosch main fuel pump and fuel filter
- Replaced front and rear control arm bushings and torque rod bushings with Genuine Volvo
- New ball joints, tie rod ends, end links, and associated hardware
- New Genuine Volvo engine mounts and transmission mount
- New brake pads and rotors
- Four new Rockford Fosgate 4.25Ē speakers and new Stinger speaker wire
- New JVC head unit (itís a media/MP3 player, no CD)
- Replaced all clips for exterior trim
- Added Genuine Volvo side marker lights
- New Bosch ignition coil
- New oil trap, PCV hose
- New engine splash pan
- New windshield wipers, wiper seals and nut covers
- New front windshield and gasket
Service items completed within last ~2,000 miles:
- New cap, rotor, plugs, wires
- All new ceramic fuses
- New air filter
- A/C system flushed
- Oil changed with Mobil 1 full synthetic, new Genuine Volvo oil pan gasket, pan nut
- Trans completely flushed with Mobil 1 full synthetic, pan gasket and filter screen replaced with Genuine Volvo
- Differential fluid changed with Mobil 1 full synthetic gear oil and gasket replaced with Genuine Volvo
- Radiator flushed and filled with Genuine Volvo coolant
- New Genuine Volvo valve cover gasket
- Wheel alignment and tire balance
- Timing belt and upper and lower crankshaft seals
- New Genuine Volvo upper and lower radiator hoses (also included are Genuine Volvo idle air inlet and outlet hoses and heater hoses that you can install when needed)
- New DieHard deep cycle battery
- Injectors removed and professionally serviced (also included are a second set of Bosch injectors)
Additional items youíll get with the car:
- Haynes repair manual
- Transmission flush kit from IPD
- A very large assortment of various spare parts both new and used
Please note the following:
- Iíll e-mail you the CarFax report if you ask.
- The car is in very good condition, but it is 24 years old. It has external and interior wear and tear, to include some minor rock chips, a few dings, and trim and bumper wear.
- There are places on the hood and trunk where the clear coat is Ďwavyí (I guess it wasn't sprayed correctly). Itís noticeable at certain angles in the right light, but doesnít affect the durability of the paint job.
- I took the seat heaters out to repair/refurbish them. They are now good-as-new, but need to be re-installed.
- The dash had a crack that I repaired (visible in pictures). It cracked again, though, in the same place.
- The glove box wouldnít stay closed when I went over bumps, so I added some Velcro strips inside. Problem solved.
- Car has factory cruise control, but it doesnít work. I havenít tried to figure out why.
- The central lock function doesnít work. The wiring harness for it in the driverís door was rotted (like in most 240s) so I removed it.
Please ask any questions you may have before
bidding. If youíre out of town (and since I'm in Gallup, NM you probably will be), Iíll work with you to perform a third party
inspection if you desire. Iíll also make the car available for shipment pick-up, but I canít help you arrange shipping or give you an estimate on the
cost. Following the sale, Iíll hold the car for you in my garage for up to two
weeks. The car is sold as-is, where-is
with no warranty expressed or implied. I hope to find someone that wants to buy
this car as much as I donít want to sell it. Come take a look/drive and make me