1972 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible on 2040-cars
Amherst, New Hampshire, United States
Pontiac didn't make a GTO Convertible in 1972... or did they?
The GTO started life as an option package on the 1964 Pontiac Tempest. By the following year, the GTO was its own model, separate from the Tempest. However, in 1972, the GTO went back to being an option package rather than a separate model line. In the meantime, the Le Mans had replaced the Tempest in Pontiac's line-up. So for 1972-73, the GTO was an option package on the Le Mans.
In 1972, the GTO option was only offered on the hardtop Le Mans - there was no 1972 GTO Convertible. However, one could order the 1972 Le Mans Sport Convertible with any of the three GTO engines and the "Endura" option. This was the name Pontiac has given to its new plastic collision-resistant bumper that was introduced on the 1968 GTO. Its unique look defined the GTO style for many years. On the 1972 model year, the Endura option gave the Le Mans the GTO front bumper, hood, and body moldings; and deleted all of the "Le Mans" badging. Making it what many people call the "GTO in all but name."
- This is a one-owner car. It comes with exceptional provenance including the original window sticker, owner's manual, dealer's invoice, option sheet, etc. (see photos).
- Even though it is currently in New Hampshire, this is a California car. It was originally purchased there and spent the majority of it's life there. As a result, there are no major rust problems.
- When the original mufflers were replaced some time ago, they were replaced with dual Cherry Bombs. Other than that one item, this car is 100% original. No other aftermarket parts, tweaks, or modifications of any kind. You could not ask for a better platform for a restoration project.
- The 1972 Le Mans Sport Convertible with the Endura option is somewhere between rare and very rare. Pontiac only made 3,438 Le Mans convertibles in total that year. It is not clear how many were ordered with the Endura option, but it is definitely less than a couple hundred and could be as few as 20 to 30. How many of those are still on the road? Not very many!
- While this car is being sold mainly as restoration project, it is a completely road-worthy, running, and licensed car right now. You could have great fun driving it just as it is.
- This is not a museum piece - it has been driven for nearly 40 years and shows it in some areas:
- There is some surface rust. Nothing major, and all areas that are classic problems for this car, like the corners of the trunk and trunk lid, are near perfect (see photos).
- There is some chipping of the paint near the front bumper and peeling of the clear coat in spots.
- The upholstery has several tears and worn spots.
- The transmission leaks. Most likely the rear seal needs replacement. The leak is not excessive and regular topping off with fluid takes care of it.
- The convertible top needs replacement. The mechanism is still good, it goes up and down electrically with no problems, but the vinyl is torn and the rear window (which is actually glass on this car) is entirely missing.
Pontiac Le Mans for Sale
- 1966 pontiac tempest, lemans,gto(US $3,500.00)
- 1977 pontiac lemans, good looking car, good running car, hard to find this nice(US $7,500.00)
- 1973 pontiac lemans sport coupe 2 door fastback 400 call now(US $14,995.00)
- Hot rod 1967 pontiac le mans(US $18,500.00)
- 1970 pontiac lemans sport 6.6l gto clone
- 1972 pontiac lemans sport. model 21500 miles survivor original gem gto style int(US $17,750.00)
Auto Services in New Hampshire
Auto Repair & Service, Auto Transmission
Address: 27 Ash St, East-Derry
Phone: (603) 432-3201
Auto Repair & Service, Automobile Parts & Supplies, Towing
Phone: (603) 647-8260
Auto Repair & Service
Address: 208 Mast Rd, New-Boston
Phone: (603) 497-2200
Auto Repair & Service, Automobile Consultants
Address: 21 Londonderry Tpke, Hooksett
Phone: (603) 836-5077
Auto Repair & Service, Wheels-Aligning & Balancing
Address: 594 Main St, Sanbornville
Phone: (207) 324-4448
Auto Repair & Service, New Car Dealers
Address: 733 Rogers St, Nashua
Phone: (603) 463-0247
Wed, 31 Oct 2012 14:39:00 EST
It seems the Pontiac Trans Am steadfastly refuses to die. Ever since Chevrolet was granted a retrofied Camaro to compete with the Ford Mustang, Pontiac lovers have lamented the loss of this 1970s icon. And, looking at the Hurst Edition from Trans Am Depot, shown here at the 2012 SEMA Show, may explain what all the fuss is about.
Mon, 30 Jun 2014 15:30:00 EST
It's not going to appeal to everyone's muscle-car tastes, but there's certainly room for a brash-and-bold black-and-gold Special Edition in many a Trans Am lover's garage. After all, if you want the keys to a custom pony car, you'll certainly get noticed in this one. If this scheme isn't your bag,, you can alternatively order your Hurst Edition in white and gold or silver and black. Oh, and don't forget a color-coordinated Screaming Chicken on the hood.
No matter which way you choose to go, your inner Burt Reynolds will appreciate the Eibach suspension kit, forged wheels with Pirelli PZero tires, functional shaker hood, fender air extractors, rear spoiler and, of course, a Hurst shifter inside. The interior is emblazoned with all manner of special touches, including a Hurst dash plate and T/A stitching on the Katzkin two-tone leather seats.
General Motors today announced a truly massive recall covering some 8.4 million vehicles in North America. Most significantly, 8.2 million examples of the affected vehicles are being called back due to "unintended ignition key rotation," though GM spokesperson Alan Adler tells Autoblog that this issue is not like the infamous Chevy Cobalt ignition switch fiasco.
Mon, 07 Nov 2011 13:30:00 EST
For the sake of perspective, translated to US population, this total recall figure would equal a car for each resident of New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Montana, Delaware, South Dakota, Alaska, North Dakota, the District of Columbia, Vermont and Wyoming. Combined. Here's how it all breaks down:
7,610,862 vehicles in North America being recalled for unintended ignition key rotation. 6,805,679 are in the United States.
General Motors is recalling around 38,000 Pontiac G8 sedans from its 2008 and 2009 model years. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that the cars may have a passenger-side airbag flaw that might prevent proper deployment in certain scenarios.
According to NHTSA, the airbag might not adequately protect a fifth percentile woman - that is, a woman around four-foot, 11-inches weighing 108 pounds. The New York Times indicates that the anomaly was found during a crash test conducted by GM's Australian branch, Holden, which was testing the G8's twin (read: Commodore) for head injuries. According to that report, the test in question is specifically tailored to simulate injuries to females, so the results do not apply to men or children.
The issue has been blamed on a seat position sensor that governs airbag deployment rates. NHTSA indicates that when the front passenger seat is moved all the way forward, the faulty sensor may inappropriately trigger a 30-millisecond delay between airbag stages, potentially leading to greater injuries.