1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Base Coupe 2-door 5.0l on 2040-cars
of the car
Aurora, Illinois, United States
OK, up for sale is my 1986 Monte Carlo. Originally purchased this last year as a project for my son and I, but alas, money and time got in the way.
Bad news first:
- The original carburetor (Rochester Quadrajet) was replaced by the original seller to an Edelbrock Performer. Edelbrock works fine but since it is not connected to the ECM, the timing keeps advancing and it is nearly impossible to get her running smoothly.
- Landau top needs to either be deleted or repaired
- The interior of the car needs help (interior door panel on passenger side is detached, have most parts for it. Dash pad is cracked. Gauges work fine. Seats are solid but dirty)
- Exterior of the car - paint is there but most likely it was a cheap Maaco paint job as some parts are visible and the original cream color of the car can be seen in the jambs and stuff.
- Body - panels are solid, front end needs to be shimmed and aligned properly. Bondo on Passenger door by mirror and bondo on left fender. Couple of small rust spots that can be ground out and filled (nothing through the panels)
- Exhaust - leak in the exhaust, needs replacement.
Good news time:
- Windshield is brand new, replaced by Safelite last summer
- She starts up well and idles well but then once she reaches temp, starts to run too rich.
- Tires are good
- No rust in the trunk
- Overall good condition, just needs someone who knows what they are doing to have this car - NOT me. :-)
I am including a bunch of body parts:
- Two front fenders from an SS (I think it was an 86 or 87)
- Two doors (rusted bottoms but complete interiors) from same donor SS
- Front clip and lights assembly from the SS
Additionally, I am also including the following parts:
- Rebuilt Rochester Quadrajet E4ME (From Mountain Man carbs - HIGHLY rated) (300 bucks)
- Replacement headliner and visors from Mike's Montes and replacement radiator overflow tank (300 bucks)
- MSD Pro-Billet RTR Distributor for Small Block Chevy (from Summit, $289)
- MSD Coil Blaster for RTR Distributor ($50)
- Street Fire spark plug wires (Summit, $40)
- LH and RH Exhaust manifolds (Summit, $225)
- Set of Autolite Xtreme Performance plugs (Summit, $60)
- Additional parts and pieces from the donor car (some interior parts, Chrome dressup kit, hood hinge, wiring harness for lights, etc.)
If you can do body work and minor mechanical stuff, you can have a sweet ride in no time. I don't do any body work so I'd lose a ton of money paying someone to do it.
Heck, you could part this out to the Monte Carlo community and make twice my asking price back - I just need to get it out of here and don't have the time to take this project to completion. By my estimate, it's pretty darn close and is still unmolested enough that you could make a really sweet ride out of it. She drives, shifts, brakes, and steers fine. Just wouldn't recommend taking her long distance until the timing issue is worked out and the exhaust leak is fixed.
Parts and car alone totalled me over 4000... you have 1300 bucks in unused parts also included that you could either use or resell. She's got great potential, I just don't have the time. Son needs a reliable car NOW and really doesn't have the interest in this project that I hoped he would.
NOW - for the legalistic stuff:
- If you commit to buy, it is committing to buy - NOT committing to come over and inspect and kick the tires. I have described everything to my best ability and am always available via email or eBay messages to answer any questions, take additional pictures, etc.
- If you purchase, I need 500 down and the remainder within one week. Car needs to be picked up within one week of the close of sale. I will not arrange shipping, I do not have a trailer. I *will* however, help load it up.
- Car is sold as is, where is, no warranties expressed or implied; no returns.
Chevrolet Monte Carlo for Sale
Auto Services in Illinois
New Car Dealers, Used Car Dealers
Address: 700 W Higgins Rd, Hoffman-Estates
Phone: (847) 310-1900
Auto Repair & Service, Tire Dealers, Wheel Alignment-Frame & Axle Servicing-Automotive
Address: 2091 W Station St, Kankakee
Phone: (815) 933-7080
Automobile Parts & Supplies, Truck Wrecking, Automobile Accessories
Address: 4555 W North Ave, Berwyn
Phone: (773) 489-2277
Auto Repair & Service
Address: 40W288 Wasco Rd, South-Elgin
Phone: (847) 854-6700
Auto Repair & Service, Automobile Parts & Supplies, Wheels-Aligning & Balancing
Address: 37W415 Keslinger Rd, Batavia
Phone: (630) 306-0266
Auto Repair & Service, Brake Repair, Tire Changing Equipment
Address: 6505 Main St, Village-Of-Lakewood
Phone: (815) 923-4780
Fri, 11 Apr 2014 15:11:00 EST
Mon, 18 Nov 2013 16:29:00 EST
Supercharged, 6.2-liter V8? Check. Seven-speed manual? Check. Obsession with weight? Check.
What did you expect when Chevrolet said it was bringing a new Corvette variant to the 2014 New York Auto Show? Maybe a sticker and trim package, like the C6 Corvette Grand Sport or a tie-in deal like the Black Widow car from Chicago? On the opposite end, maybe there was an even more hardcore Z06 waiting in the wings. Who knew?
The new Chevrolet Corvette Stingray has picked up another buff book accolade after capturing Road and Track's Performance Car of the Year award. The seventh-generation of America's sports car (sorry Viper, Mustang, et al.) has been named Automobile Magazine's Automobile of the Year.
Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:31:00 EST
Automobile's award to the Corvette over competitors is the mirror image of its rival Motor Trend, which named the Cadillac CTS its car of the year over the C7. The CTS was, according to the Automobile team, the closest contender to the mighty Stingray. Great news all around for General Motors it seems.
As for what pushed the Corvette past its distant, four-door cousin, Automobile commended its excellent, 6.2-liter V8 calling the car's performance "simply awesome" while also remarking that it is easier to drive fast than ever before thanks to steering and chassis tweaks. Following a theme set by other publications, there were also plaudits for the interior, of all things, with the buff book complimenting the car's ergonomics and material quality, while also praising the standard seats.
If you want a closer look at what went into designing and building the interior for the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette, we've got just the thing. General Motors has released a new video detailing the cabin's evolution from conception to execution, complete with commentary from Ryan Vaughn, performance car interior design manager with Chevrolet. The quick clip details how manufacturing, engineering and design within General Motors worked together from the first sketches to ensure no compromises had to be made later down the line. How novel.
With plenty of hides traced with contrast stitching and available real carbon fiber trim, the cabin looks to be a few hundred miles ahead of the C6. Given how readily critics derided the previous generation for its cabin, the C7 should make writers work a little harder to find something to complain about. Check out the video below for yourself.